Saturday, March 5, 2022

February 2022

    

February Garden List
1. Continue clean up seed starting area
2. Continue to grow lettuce and Radishes
3. Continue to hang florescent lights
4. Work on planting onions and cabbage

Daily Activities
14th - Water lettuce plants in basement
14th - Planted onions in 18 oz cups
14th - Daffodils are starting to grow
15th - Water lettuce and onion seed in basement
27th - Onions not up



Monday, February 14
The garden year starts on Valentine's Day. This is a 90 onion root trainer tray make from PVC. If this grows out to mature onions it would give me an onion every four days. That is about what I would want. I don't expect that every onion start would produce a nice mature onion. And I don't expect that an onion would last a whole year in storage.

Here are the onions that will be used to plant. They are at least a couple years old so the germination rate is most likely not the best. Germination goes down hill fast for onions. I think I'll geminate the seeds in a community container and then transfer the sprouts over to the tray.

Here's a few radish trainers. I tried to use these in the past and it didn't work well but I've since noticed that growing radishes in general doesn't seem to work well. I will experiment with different radishes to see if that could be the issue.

Tuesday, February 15
Ideas are starting to sprout in my head about improvements and expansions to the seed starting area and the several gardens. The daffodils are up with tulips not far behind. The spring flowers looked a little anemic last year but I really don't know what to do to help them out.

The first sign of spring. I do need to rejuvenate the whole spring flower bed. This time I'm going to spend a little more time on the design. But that won't happen until fall. I'm going to do it in stages instead of trying to do the entire thing at one time. I haven't really taken care of it very well. I just planted the bulbs and dowsed it with mulch some years ago and walked away. It think there might be more to it than that. It has looked a little stressed and anemic the last couple years.

I've been thinking about what to plant in the driveway flower pots. I want something different this year. Marigolds do grow good in the pots but I've been thinking about a giant sunflower. I'm not sure if I can pull that off. Since it's in a pot I would have to support it somehow to keep the Nebraska winds from blowing it over.

I'm hoping to be able to spend more attention on yard and garden this year. It seems that Dot always has things happen in March or April when most of the garden activity happens.

I have some potatoes that I ordered but I'm not sure they will be any good. They sent them as soon as I ordered them in January and didn't tell me when they were delivered so they set outside all night in single digit weather. I wasn't too happy about that. Most companies will send potatoes at the right time for planting. I ordered more potatoes from the company I ordered from last time. They will send them in March when planting time. Planting time this year is April 15th. I have a while to get the potato bed ready for planting. The bed I have for that this year has been dormant for a couple years.

Sunday, February 27

No comments:

Post a Comment